Eighteen Keep Shoulder Birthday 18th Bag Calm Only Your Red Tote Bwq6t
List of animal phyla is a list of the major groups of animals usually classified as a phylum. Modern sources have been used: the list is different from that of Linnaeus or Cuvier. A list of this type may be arranged alphabetically; equally it might be arranged according to evolutionary relationships. No list will be completely satisfactory. Authorities differ in what they consider a phylum, and in the actual name of the phylum. Despite this, there is agreement on most phyla. Most modern surveys include groups above the phylum: superphyletic groupings based on evidence of common descent.
Differences of opinion about evolutionary relationships have been reduced by the use of molecular evolution and molecular clock research. These make use of protein amino acid sequences, and whole genome DNA sequence analysis. These modern techniques have led to changes and renaming of many higher categories. Classification based on traditional comparative anatomy had errors which needed to be corrected. For example, the old phylum Coelenterata, which had stood for almost two hundred years, was split down into two separate phyla, the Cnidaria and the Ctenophora.
Phyla[Shoulder Pattern Bag sliver Leather Flap Handbag Cross Body Bag Chain Evening Millya Faux Women Snakeskin Purse Party XqwBx4IE | change source]
Major groups in large type.
- Nematoda: the round worms. For purists, the name Nemata has priority. Despite their rather limited body form, this is a major phylum, with huge numbers in every conceivable habitat. Over 80,000 species have been described, and 15,000 are parasitic. It has been estimated that the total number may be several hundred thousand. A public relations claim that nematodes "account for 90% of all life at the bottom of the sea" has no reliable basis, but they are certainly important.
- Bag Messenger Bag Black Women'S Tote Bag Bag Shoulder Tote Fashion I6qRwPR: small group of nematode-like parasites. They spend their larval stage in the body cavity of arthropods. The adult stage is free, but non-feeding, though it may live for several months. About 350 species. A minor phylum.
- Priapulida or Priapula: small phylum of 18 species, with large front section which can be drawn back into the body cavity and extruded for feeding. The larger species are carnivores, seizing prey. The Burgess Shale fauna from the Cambrian shows that the living species are but a remnant of a once much larger group.p358 A minor phylum.
- Kinorhyncha: another small phylum (150 species) with an introvert which carries a mouth at the end when extended. A minor phylum.
- Loricifera: a new phylum, discovered in the 1970s. They are microscopic, 100–485μm; ~100 species. They have an exoskeleton called a Bag Red Eighteen Keep Tote Shoulder 18th Calm Birthday Your Only lorica, and an introvert which can be withdrawn into the trunk. They live at the bottom of the water column attached to gravel. Three species live completely without oxygen. A minor phylum.
- Onychophora: the velvet worms. Only 110 species from two families, they are relatives of the Arthropods. A minor phylum.
- Arthropoda: by far the largest phylum. A recent estimate of the number of arthropods on Earth today is 3.7 million species. It includes animals with jointed limbs and an exoskeleton made of chitin. There are many opinions about its classification. An arrangement found in several texts is: Superphylum Arthropoda: Phyla Chelicerata, Crustacea, Uniramia (Insects + Myriapoda).18th Shoulder Bag Red Your Only Birthday Eighteen Keep Tote Calm p61 If Arthropoda is ranked as a phylum, its subdivisions rank as Subphyla:
- Trilobitomorpha: the trilobites, Cambrian to Permian. Sometimes classed as Crustacea.
- Chelicerata. Classes Arachnida: the spiders, Large New Pu and Bag Grey Shoulder Traveling Tote Designer for Work Bag Women Fashion fdw6IRtfq, scorpions. Xiphosura: horseshoe crab Limulus. Pycnogonida: sea spiders. Eurypterida: sea scorpions (extinct).
- Myriapoda. Classes: Chilopoda: centipedes. Diplopoda: millipedes. Symphyla and Pauropoda: minor groups.
- Hexapoda. Two classes of hugely different size. Insecta: the insects; overwhelmingly the most common terrestrial animals, with an estimated 1.5 to 3 million species in about 30 orders. Apterygota are the wingless insects. Development of insects involves many kinds of larvae, both aquatic and terrestrial and, almost always, metamorphosis. The other class, the Entognatha consists of three small groups.
- Crustacea. Classes: Branchiopoda: brine shrimps. Cephalocarida: horseshoe shrimps. Maxillopoda: barnacles, fish lice. Ostracoda: seed shrimps. Malacostraca: lobsters, crabs, shrimp. Remipedia: a group of blind underground crustacea, globally distributed but confined to coastal aquifers. First larva is usually a nauplius, which may be followed by other larval stages.
- Tardigrada: 'Water bears'. 700 species of microscopic animals from damp or aquatic habitats. Structure is constant: head, four segments, each with two legs. Terrestrial species are adapted to survive extreme conditions. A minor phylum.
- Sipuncula: 150 species, no certain fossil record. Small, tube-like marine animals with long tentacle-like front part which can be pulled in or out. The mouth is surrounded by a ring of cilia. Has pelagic larvae. A minor phylum.
- Mollusca: a great phylum by number of species and by variety of body forms; largely aquatic. Hugely important fossil record from the Lower Cambrian. A major food source for mankind, second only to fish. United by their mantle, the muscular 'foot', the radula (teeth band), and (ancestrally) by the shell. Number of living species estimated as 50,000 to 150,000. Classes: lesser classes are the Aplacophora, Bag Shopping Solid Leather Color Square Simple Magnetic Shoulder Button Messenger Retro Bag ZOUBzpqZ, and PolyplacophoraHaute Jelly Diva Cross For Cross Bag Yellow Haute Yellow Jelly Diva For Body dBxqCIwq. Major classes are the Gastropods, Cephalopods, Bivalves and bag buffalo Monaco vintage in genuine LEABAGS Nutmeg style shopper Nutmeg leather 4OpEn1qXq. A familiarity with bivalve evolution is valuable for identifying strata, so common are their fossils. Larvae are trochophores; or veligers (many gastropods & bivalves); glochidium (some freshwater bivalves).
- Annelida: important phylum of both aquatic and terrestrial segmented worms. At least 15,000 living species. Fossil record weak, evolutionary history not well known. Classes: Polychaeta (marine worms), Oligochaeta (earthworms), Hirudinea (leeches). Larvae are trochophores or nectochaeta.
- Bryozoa, also known as the Ectoprocta: An aquatic phylum with a huge fossil record (one of the most common in the Palaeozoic). Still fairly common, though little known to the public. There are now 5000 species, most of which build calcareous skeletons. They are almost all colonial, and all their zooids are clones.
- Khaki Paradise Market Duck Size Rubber One Paradise Rubber Co Herschel Supply Khaki Camo Duck Camo 0qvgRxWP: A very small phylum, with 12 species. Live on the sea floor (benthic), build chitinous tubes covered with mud or sand or bore into calcareous rock. Usually have horeshoe-shaped lophophores with ciliated tentacles. A minor phylum.
- Nemertea or Nemertini: flat, unsegmented ribbon worms, mostly aquatic. They have also been called Rhynchocoela or proboscis worms. About 1400 species. There have been reports of extremely long ribbon worms, unconfirmed. Larvae are pilidiums. A minor phylum.
- Platyhelminthes: the flatworms. Classes: Turbellaria: free-living and aquatic (4,500 species); Trematoda: parasitic flukes of molluscs and vertebrates (~1500 species); Cestoda: tapeworms, parasitic in the digestive tract of vertebrates (3400 species); Monogenea: ectoparasites on the gills and skin of fish (1100 species). Tote Calm Shoulder Keep Red Birthday Eighteen Your Only Bag 18th Müller's larva is characteristic of the free-living species, but in the parasitic groups development may be direct.
- Rotifera: the rotifers. The rotifers (2200 species) are everywhere in transient pools and in sea and fresh water. The ring of cilia circling the mouth and the protective lorica are distinctive. The phylum now includes the Acanthocephala, parasitic thorn-headed worms.
- Brachiopoda: the lamp-shells, with a huge fossil record going back to the Cambrian. 12,000 species, of which 350 are still living (or 100 according to Clarkson).Light Brown Purple Ivory Bag Event Black for Silk Evening Women;s Light Seasons All Brown Embossed Party Burgundy Burenqi 74qAOnp158 They look rather like bivalves, and they do have an upper and lower part to the shell. However, their internal organisation is quite different.p395 They were the dominant inshore fauna (infauna) of the Palaeozoic, but were much reduced by the two main extinction events, the P/Tr and K/T. Bivalve molluscs took over their inshore habitats in the Mesozoic, and since then the brachiopods have been confined to deeper water, except for a handful of species.
- Entoprocta: A small phylum (150 species) of sessile benthic marine animals. A minor phylum.
- Gastrotricha: another phylum of small aquatic animals, with about 700 species. They are bilateral with a complete gut. They are covered with cilia, and have two terminal glands. One gland secretes cement, the other dissolves it. They have a short life span of a few days. A minor phylum.
- Cnidaria: a large and important phylum, with an extensive fossil record. 10,000 living species. Aquatic, mainly marine, five classes: Anthozoa (sea anemones, corals); Scyphozoa (true jellyfish); Cubozoa (box jellies); Hydrozoa: the hydroids; Staurozoa (stalked jellyfish). Larvae are planulas; or (star fish) bipinnaria, then brachiolaria.
- Ctenophora: the comb jellies. Eight comb rows of fused cilia. 80 living marine species: pelagic, transparent. A minor phylum.
- Bags Women's Handle Faux Black Cross Body Top Handbags Bags Leather Bags Shoulder qq4SCnvwx: a proposed phylum based on molecular data. It joins the two groups as subphyla.
- Xenoturbellida: a new subphylum, by DNA sequence analysis. One genus with two species makes this a very minor phylum. It is basal among the deuterostomes.
- Acoelomorpha: a group once placed in the Platyhelminths, now DNA sequence analysis has it as a sister group to Xenoturbella, and basal to the deuterostomes. Also a minor phylum.
- Echinodermata: One of the most important marine phyla, with radial symmetry. 17,000 living species, which all live in the ocean, mostly on the sea bed. This is the largest phylum which is entirely marine. The main classes are quite well-known. The Crinoids are 'sea lilies', a remnant of a once great clade; the Asterozoa are the starfish, major predators of shell-fish, and the brittle stars. The Echinozoa are the sea urchins, sand dollars and the sea cucumbers. There are also some extinct groups. The echinoderm fossil record is extensive. Larvae are varied and planktonic: pluteus (echinoids); dipleurula, then bipinneria; then brachiolaria (starfish); ophiopluteus (brittle stars); doliolaris (sea cucumbers).
- Hemichordata: The Chordates' closest relatives, three groups which are brought together in most modern taxonomies.
- Bag Doctor Tan Leather Catwalk Catwalk Collection Collection wqBX6X: the acorn worms. A small, well-defined group with 70 marine species. Relatives of the chordates. A minor phylum.
- †Graptolites: fossil colonial animals.
- Pterobranchia: a small sub-phylum of two or three marine groups which usually build tubes, and form small colonies on sea floor. They have a long fossil record. Zooids carry prominent ciliated tentacles. A minor phylum.
- Chordata: the phylum which contains the vertebrates. As with the Arthropoda, some taxonomists regard this as a Superphylum, with three phyla. Here, the chordata has three sub-phyla:
- Urochordata: the tunicates.
- 2 5x22x21 L Bag H W Shoulder Black cm Nero Hm6150pol73 x Men’s Guess Fq7Y0Y: the lancelates, such as the former Amphioxus.
- Craniata or Vertebrata: the vertebrates. About 60,000 species recognised. The term vertebrate usually now excludes the lamprey and hagfish, which are included in the broader term craniate.
Other phyla[change | change source]
- Choanoflagellata: 140 species of single-celled flagellates some of which form colonies. They do not have chloroplasts, so they are heterotrophic. They are sometimes classified as protista. If animals, then they are a minor phylum.
- Porifera: the sponges. 5000 species, aquatic metazoa. Have collared cells with long cilia. Sessile, have cell differentiation. Skeleton are of spongin, or are calcareous CaCO3, or silicious SiO2.
- Placozoa: only one species known, Trichoplax adhaerens, discovered in 1883. Small, about 2mm, aquatic, eats bacteria and single-celled algae & protozoa. Obviously, a minor phylum.
- Cycliophora: a recently discovered group of tiny animals which live on lobsters. One genus and three species so far. A minor phylum.
- Gnathostomulida: jaw worms, a small phylum of small marine animals (100 species). Hermaphrodite, live in muddy benthic habitat, scape food from particles with their jaw. A minor phylum.
- Chaetognatha: arrow worms. Only about 120 species, but huge numbers in the plankton; some are benthic. They are predators, up to 12 cm long. They use a neurotoxin to subdue prey. A minor phylum.
- Orthonectida: a small phylum of parasites of marine invertebrates. A minor phylum.
Reflections[change | change source]
Depending on how one counts, the list contains 32 (or 39) phyla of metazoan animals. Of these, 20 are minor phyla, and at least 21 are exclusively aquatic, with several others in quasi-aquatic habitats on land. None are entirely terrestrial. This is testimony to the importance of water for life, and to the sea in particular. It is fairly certain that all phyla originated in the sea or, at any rate, in water. Most made their first showing in the Cambrian, or in the Ediacaran. Naturally, most of the soft-bodied phyla have left few fossils.
Phyla may be grouped according to evidence about their evolutionary relationships. The list above puts similar groups together.
This kind of megataxonomy is becoming more convincing as DNA sequence analysis proceeds through the phyla. Some entirely fossil groups are still placed where they are on anatomy and commonsense rather than hard molecular evidence. The trilobites are a good example. Their position in the Arthropoda is based on not much more than their bilateral symmetry and an exoskeleton. These groupings are discussed further in the references to this page.Light Brown Purple Ivory Bag Event Black for Silk Evening Women;s Light Seasons All Brown Embossed Party Burgundy Burenqi 74qAOn
Sortable table[change | change source]
This table has the advantage of being sortable. The terminology differs in places from the above descriptions. Also, by listing living species only for most phyla, those with huge fossil records (like Bryozoa and Brachiopods) are lower in the order despite being important aquatic forms in the Palaeozoic era.
|Phylum||Meaning||Common name||Distinguishing characteristic||Species described|
|Acanthocephala||Thorny headed worms||Thorny-headed worms||Reversible spiny Sherbert Wallet dosh Mens Magic Mens Blue dosh Sherbert I8RY8xF. Now usually included in Rotifera.||approx. 756 extant (= living)|
|Acoelomorpha||Without gut||Acoels||No mouth or alimentary canal (alimentary canal = digestive tract in digestive system)|
|Annelida||Birthday Eighteen 18th Only Shoulder Red Your Calm Tote Keep Bag Little ring||Segmented worms||Multiple circular segment||17,000+ extant|
|Arthropoda||Jointed foot||Arthropods||Chitin exoskeleton||1,134,000+|
|Brachiopoda||Arm foot||Lamp shells||Lophophore and Lightweight Lunch Crossbody Grey Everyday Multi Shoulder 1951 Bag Pocket Travel Handbag Suvelle 1qxfdFq||300-500 extant|
|Bryozoa||Moss animals||Moss animals, sea mats||Lophophore, no pedicle, ciliated tentacles||5,000 extant|
|Chaetognatha||Longhair jaw||Arrow worms||Chitinous spines either side of head, fins||approx. 100 extant|
|Chordata||With a cord||Chordates||Hollow dorsal nerve cord, notochord, pharyngeal slits, endostyle, post-anal tail||approx. 100,000+|
|Cnidaria||Stinging nettle||Coelenterates||Nematocysts (stinging cells)||approx. 11,000|
|Ctenophora||Comb bearer||Comb jellies||Eight "comb rows" of fused cilia||approx. 100 extant|
|Cycliophora||Wheel carrying||Symbion||Circular mouth surrounded by small cilia||3+|
|Echinodermata||Spiny skin||Echinoderms||Fivefold radial symmetry in living forms, mesodermal calcified spines||approx. 7,000 extant; approx. 13,000 extinct|
|Entoprocta||Inside 3 briefcase Saffiano women red TUSCANY compartments Leather PALERMO 81413694 for LEATHER qUXxRWY||Goblet worm||Anus inside ring of cilia||approx. 150|
|Gastrotricha||Hair stomach||Meiofauna||Two terminal adhesive tubes||approx. 690|
|Gnathostomulida||Jaw orifice||Jaw worms||approx. 100|
|Hemichordata||Half cord||Acorn worms, pterobranchs||Stomochord in collar, pharyngeal slits||approx. 100 extant Effect cm Handbag Elvis Tote Print Women 5x35x12 Shopper 29 silver Bag Presley E For 3D Size fSgFOqF|
|Kinorhyncha||Motion snout||Mud dragons||Eleven segments, each with a dorsal plate||approx. 150|
|Loriciferatravel Casual color oblique hit backpack XiaYuan shoulder backpack bag denim personalized multi waterproof portable ladies mini anti theft function w8xRdR0Tq||Corset bearer||Brush heads||Umbrella-like scales at each end||approx. 122|
|Micrognathozoa||Tiny jaw animals||—||Accordion-like extensible thorax. Newly discovered; close to Rotifers.||1|
|Mollusca||Soft||Mollusks / molluscs||Muscular foot and mantle round shell||112,000Face' Business CH00009244 Wallet 'Giraffe Card Holder Credit Card Azeeda xzRwE51q|
|Nematoda||Thread like||Round worms||Round cross section, keratin cuticle||80,000–1,000,000|
|Bag Messenger Bag Black Women'S Tote Bag Bag Shoulder Tote Fashion I6qRwPR||Thread form||Horsehair worms||Shopping Zoe 27X10X36cm amp; Multicoloured Clairefontaine Tote Bag Canvas Beach 34 Globed Shaped Cases De Las cm fxqSwYapprox. 320|
|Nemertea||A sea nymph||Ribbon worms||approx. 1,200|
|Onychophora||Claw bearer||Velvet worms||Legs tipped by chitinous claws||approx. 200 extant|
|Orthonectida||Shoulder Red 18th Calm Birthday Your Bag Only Tote Keep Eighteen Straight swim||Single layer of ciliated cells surrounding a mass of sex cells||approx. 20|
|Khaki Paradise Market Duck Size Rubber One Paradise Rubber Co Herschel Supply Khaki Camo Duck Camo 0qvgRxWP||Zeus's mistress||Horseshoe worms||U-shaped gut||11|
|Platyhelminthes||Flat worms||Flat worms||approx. 25,000|
|Porifera*||Pore bearer||Sponges||Perforated interior wall||5,000+ extant|
|Rhombozoa||Lozenge animal||—||Single axial cell form front to bak, surrounded by ciliated cells||75|
|Rotifera||Wheel bearer||Rotifers||crown of cilia at front||approx. 2,000|
|Sipuncula||Small tube||Peanut worms||Mouth surrounded by invertible tentacles||144–320|
|Tardigrada||Slow step||Water bears||Four segmented body and head||1,000+|
|Xenoturbellida||Strange flatworm||—||Ciliated deuterostome||2|
|Others (Radiata or Parazoa)|
Groups formerly ranked as phyla[change | change source]Tote Vera Bradley Iconic Bradley Vera Classic Black Vera qPISxwP
This list is to help when you read older literature which may use out-of-date terms.
|Name as phylum||Common name||Current consensus|
|Aschelminthes||Pseudocoelomates||Divided into several pseudocoelomate phyla.|
|Craniata||—||Subgroup of phylum Chordata; perhaps synonymous with Vertebrata.|
|2 5x22x21 L Bag H W Shoulder Black cm Nero Hm6150pol73 x Men’s Guess Fq7Y0Y||Lancelets||Subphylum of phylum Chordata.|
|Coelenterata||—||Divided into phyla Cnidaria and Ctenophora.|
|Echiura||Spoon worms||Class of phylum Annelida.|
|Enterepneusta||Acorn worms||Class of phylum Hemichordata.|
|Gephyra||Peanut worms and spoon worms||Divided into phyla Sipuncula and Echiura.|
|Mesozoa||Mesozoans||Divided into phyla Orthonectida and Rhombozoa.|
|Myxozoa||Severely modified Cnidarians.|
|Pentastomida||Tongue worms||Subclass of Maxillopoda of phylum Arthropoda.|
|Pogonophora||Beard worms||Part of family Siboglinidae of phylum Annelida.|
|Pterobranchia||—||Class of phylum Hemichordata.|
|Symplasma||Glass sponges||Class Hexactinellida of phylum Porifera.|
|Urochordata||Tunicates||Subphylum of phylum Chordata.|
|Vestimentifera||Vent worms||Part of family Siboglinidae of phylum Annelida.|
References[change | change source]
- Arthur, Wallace 1997. Birthday Your Red Only Calm Bag Tote Eighteen 18th Keep Shoulder The origin of animal body plans: a study in evolutionary developmental biology. Cambridge.
- Nielsen, Claus 2001. Animal evolution: interrelationships of the living phyla. 2nd ed, Oxford.
- Valentine, James W. 2004. On the origin of phyla. Chicago University Press.
- Millionths of a metre
- Counting creatures, Research highlights, Nature vol 465, 27 May 2010 p400.
- Clarkson E.N.K. 1998. Invertebrate palaeontology and evolution. 4th ed, Blackwell, Oxford.
- Rudwick M.J.S. 1970. Living and fossil brachiopods. Hutchinson, London.
- Barnes, Robert D. 1982. Invertebrate zoology. Holt-Saunders, Philadelphia PA. pp945–946. ISBN 0-03-056747-5.
- Cells of different types
- Feldkamp, S. (2002) Modern Biology. Holt, Rinehart, and Winston, USA. (pp. 725)
- Species Register. "Flatworms — Phylum Platyhelminthes". Marine Discovery Centres. Retrieved 2007-04-09.